News

US plans to cut HIV treatment funding in SA

Aaron Motsoaledi, Minister – Department of Health, recently had an interview with Kineo Kammies from 702 to discuss possible cut of HIV treatment funding cut by the Pepfar

The US plans to cut its funding for HIV treatment in SA by more than R5 billion.

According to 702, 80% of the HIV scheme is funded from South Africa’s own fiscus and the remaining 20% from development partners, which includes the US’s Pepfar (President’s Emergency Plan for Aids Relief)

According to Motsoaledi, the announcement is not yet definite but rather a proposal. He says a South African team will be travelling to the US on 19 April to make a presentation to US Congress.

Pepfar donated more than R10 billion to South Africa for the 2018/19 financial year.

“Part of the reason we decided to increase our own internal spending is that we know when you depend on foreign funding, you know it can dry up at any time for whatever reason.,”

It is reported that the US is planning to cut its HIV scheme to many other African countries as well.

Motsoaledi says South Africa will have to pick up the slack if the US decides to do this and find internal funding.

About the author

Pamela Vilakazi

Pamela Vilakazi is a recent Journalism graduate. Working for a community newspaper has allowed her to use her skill to educate, inform and uplift her community through the stories that she writes. Her interests are crime, politics, sports and entertainment.

Add Comment

Click here to post a comment